Friday, April 6, 2007

Wine -> Wine snobs -> Wine idiot. Yup, that’s me.

On the topic of wine, some people will always think about wine only as a source of alcohol. Others will take pleasure in impressing their peers by discerning the vintage of the wine or determining the location of its vineyard. In the presence of wine and their peers, terms such as full bodied, or tannins will occasionally erupt from the mouths of these people. It seems that they take pride in their ability to quantify the seemingly unquantifiable. Well, I shall reserve my comments on whether or not these people actually know what they are doing but I will let it be known that they are often being endearingly referred to as wine snobs.


On a more personal note, I think I will consider myself to be a wine idiot. You see, if the wine merchant tells me that the bottle of liquid in his hands is a merlot, then I will believe that it is a merlot. If he says that it is cabernet sauvignon, then I will believe it to be a cabernet sauvignon. So you see, there is actually no way for me to know if I am being cheated.

Well well... If I can get my hands on the wine tasting robot, then I can pay 20 dollars for a wine that costs 20 dollars all the time! The good thing is that the robot does not actually drink the wine. This means I get to drink more!

If the merchant says the wine is a chenin blanc when it is actually a chardonay, I can now call him a nincompoop. That, or I call the police.

This little bugger is going to save me a fortune.
Picture courtesy of here.



No comments: